Friday, April 26, 2013

Bean pole house and country living!

I needed some vertical space to grow some vines such as grape, snap peas, and pole beans. Since I have a little toddler, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and make a little house for her to play in. I'm sure I will regret that when she picks off every living grape but it's a small price to pay for play time. I start out by clearing a square with a flat shovel. This way I know where everything will be placed. 

I dig down deep, rule of thumb is 2 feet but I think I only managed 1 1/2 feet for the four corner posts. I placed them into the ground. 


I then added four posts on the top that went all the way around. I secured these with screws. I then cut off the tops of the four posts. 

I started by making a A frame for the top. 


Then I placed three poles on the bottom to secure it. The idea is to make this unmoveable when shook to withstand play and climbing vines and the wind. 

I added two other poles in the front that did not go into the ground. If you feel you need to dig them in, do so. I added a middle U and then cross beams. Once the cross beams are in, this will eliminate a LOT of movement. I will post more pictures after I get things planted and things start to climb! This will double as a play place that is shielded by the sun and it will also be a vertical garden to keep your harvest off of the ground. The cost= screws and a morning worth of labor. 

I also have been seeing a lot of these guys around. Don't know what they are so I posted it here to see if any of you spider guys or gals know if I will have some major problems if I get bit! It seems harmless but then again, I'm no spider expert. 

In addition, here is 190 licking my hand before she dropped her baby. It's the weirdest feeling being licked by a cow. You gotta add it on your bucket list of things to experience. 

And here is her oreo calf. Such a cute pair and now she won't let lick me or get close since she is a mama now. Baby comes first, as it should always be! 

And for the record this is the little lady that I think is carrying twins, she hasn't grown much since this picture but this picture was taken last month. 

And time to time we find things on our property like this possum. It's playing dead. My husband had to drive right up to it and get me all nervous because it was hissing. I thought it was going to jump out at us and bite us, giving us rabies. But it thankfully just played dead, hissing occasionally, and as soon as we took off, it jumped up and ran off. Oh the wonders of living in the country! Why I never see this in 'country living' magazines I will never understand!


No comments:

Post a Comment