Friday, January 11, 2013

Creating a desk using reclaimed wood

Good morning from Oklahoma! This is my reclaimed wood desk project. The final desk measures three feet by 8 feet long. It is 31 inches from the bottom to the top. Pretty big because I will be making a hutch in the coming weeks to sit on top of this.
This was my reclaimed wood. I found it on our property when we moved in. It was warped and faded even though it was stored in a shed. There was signs of water damage. It was perfect. Free! 

I started by lining up the boards, some of the boards magically fit together, others did not. It was a little puzzle that my son and I tacked together, trying to find the closest "fit" for the top of the table. 

We settled in on this fitting and laid a long board in between our doorway to get a 'level'. Yes I am not a carpenter but I do use normal 'common' sense leveling practices. My husband even asked when I was done...did you use a level. No. But the thing is 'level' so thats what counts right? :) 

I placed boards on top 'measuring them out' and then started screwing them down, one by one.

Note to self: Don't leave screws out for toddlers to scatter throughout the house. I am still finding missing screws.

The result was the top of the 'desk'. 

I put on legs, securing them with screws and 'wedging' them in with boards so they would not wobble. 
Honestly just look up tables and get an 'idea' of how legs should be secured and then go for it. If it feels unsafe, then add some cross beams in and screw more. Yes...common sense. If you think it is wrong, well chances are you need more support and screws. 


This shows a front view of the desk. 

I sanded everything down. The top I took my time and probably spent two hours sanding the top. I sanded all prints and stamps off of the wood. Sand well, you do not want splinters in your hand while writing checks. It will make bill paying a lot less enjoyable.


I wiped the entire desk down with a rag.

I used my favorite Golden Oak from Minwax.


I applied, going with the grain, each board, one by one until the entire desk was covered, then worked on the legs. I let the stain dry for 24 hours.

I then applied one coat of polyurethane. I let it dry for 24 hours. 
I sanded the polyurethane with a fine sand paper. 

I then wiped it off with a rag and put a second coat of polyurethane on and let it dry for an additional 24 hours. The result was a smooth surface. 

The end result is a large desk...the hutch is next. 


This shows my cross beam in the back.


Happy creating! Btw..you never really need plans. You just need to go for it. Yes this isn't a perfection website but a get off your ass and do it website. Happy creating!